The new habit specifically is to start the dishwasher before bed and unload first thing in the morning. This leaves the dishwasher available all day to put dirty dishes in. It is nearly a miracle!! And I'm usually on top of these things, but not quite to this degree. I do have to give credit to the blog A Slob Comes Clean since this is where I happened upon this idea. Again, I love this new habit. And it seems to have taken no time at all for my husband to notice that we are running it every night. He hasn't said anything, but he has been the one to start it a few times.
I do think creating habits is part of what keeps my house organized and under control. Here are some things we do around our house daily or weekly that are simply habits for us:
- Make the bed each morning
- Run the dishwasher and hand wash any others that need it
- Take our shoes to our room (or the girls put theirs in a bin by the door)
- Check email daily and delete as many as I can
- Take our recyclables and trash to the garage right away
- Laundry is folded and put away right after it comes out of the dryer
- Sheets are washed and put right back on the bed on the same day
- Donateable items have a bin they are placed in when we come upon them
I suppose there are plenty of other tasks that we do out of habit that keep our house from getting too cluttered and out of control. Even though I've tried to make a habit of various things in the past, they don't always stick. And that is okay, I keep trying and looking for something that works for me.
Do you try to change your habits to improve your home or life? What habit do you have that helps you be more organized?