Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Day 21: Medications

Are we having fun yet? It's Day 21 of my 31 Days of Decluttering and Organizing. Just ten more days. I think we can do it!!

I decided that checking the expiration dates on our medications would be a good idea. We are getting closer to the cold and flu season. It's no fun to realize that what you have on hand to treat your symptoms is expired (or that you don't even have anything on hand). 



I was actually a little shocked at how many things we had that were expired. Now two of them expired just this month, but one of them expired in 2013! How did I miss that before we moved? 



This task should be pretty fast to check each item you are storing. Don't forget to check any that appear new and unopened. Those could also be expired. Make sure you check ALL areas you store medications. Pull out anything you tried in the past that didn't work for you or you didn't like the taste of effects of. I decided we didn't need as many of the dosage cups as I had on hand. I think I kept four all together. Two of two different sizes seemed liked plenty. 

I plan to mix these medications with some used kitty litter and toss them in the trash. It is not a good idea to put them down the drain or toilet. There often sponsored drives for collecting expired and unwanted medications, so you might check online in your area. I believe some pharmacies also will take back unused and expired medications as well. 

Again this should be a fast one! Once you are done, you might consider planning ahead to restock anything you feel you would want on hand BEFORE you are ill. Include tissues on that list too, if you aren't already stocked up!

Did you find expired medications? What do you stock up on? Was this a fast decluttering project for you? 


No comments:

Post a Comment