Monday, January 30, 2017

Decluttering Ebbs and Flows

There are times in my life where decluttering and organizing are not top on my list. The same is true of writing about decluttering and organizing. I've been distracted by other things, thus the reason I have been limited in my posting here at Your Organized Friend.

The good news is I have not let the house go awry in the time I've been away from here. We are keeping up with our habits that keep our home running smoothly. Some of those habits are:

  • Meal planning
  • Sunday grocery shopping
  • Running the dishwasher every night
  • Washing towels every Friday
  • Sorting the mail immediately, which means most of it ends up in the recycle bin before it arrives inside our home.
I have done some decluttering since I last posted too. I haven't focused on a specific room, but in the course of everyday life I have come upon items we aren't using. For example, I made a traditional cake recently, the kind with two layers. I realized I have four round cake pans, yet I rarely make cake. It's so rare that I make cake, I was actually using two of them for organizers in my cabinets. I decided to keep those as organizers and use them when I need to make a cake. The other two are being donated. 

I've been making a very real effort to keep my email inbox cleaned up. I've unsubscribed from a lot of different mailings and that has help tremendously. I think I may now may need to train myself to only check email two times a day, rather than every time I find myself on the computer. 

Despite January being a new beginning with organizing and decluttering it was a minimal part of my month, but yet my abilities to keep up habits and work on small things like my inbox have made it successful. We all have times in our lives when we are more motivated than others to keep things tidy or put our focus on letting go of the stuff we have acquired. It's not worth beating ourselves up about. We are all just doing the best we can. 

Join the conversation about decluttering and organizing over at the Your Organized Friend Facebook  page anytime. 



No comments:

Post a Comment