Tuesday, June 20, 2017

FlyLady's Weekly Home Blessing...Does It Work?

As I've stated in previous blog posts about my FlyLady cleaning, I'm not doing it right. I'm not going in the correct order at all. Oops! I suppose that could make a difference with the outcome, right?

Monday after doing some detailed cleaning, I decided to try FlyLady's Weekly Home Blessing. It's an hours worth of time, or actually seventy minutes to complete the following:

  • Vacuum
  • Dust
  • Quick Mop
  • Polish Mirrors & Doors
  • Change Sheets
  • Purge Magazines & Catalogs
  • Empty Trash
The idea is to spend no more than 10 minutes on each one. You can do one ten minute session per day for seven days, or do them all at once on one day. 

Let's talk about what I didn't do. 

I didn't purge magazines and catalogs because I don't have any to purge! It sure helps to get off the mailing lists and end subscriptions to keep these things from accumulating in the home. I also didn't polish mirrors and doors. 

I sort of did 'Change Sheets'. I pulled the dirty sheets off my girls beds and put them in the washer and eventually hung them to dry. But I didn't put a different set on the bed, because we don't have extras. The beds were made a bit later when the sheets were dry. 

Monday was a normal take out the trash day, so I started there, gathering the trash. I did get a bit sidetracked for a couple minutes when I dumped out the old litter and decided to clean the litter pan. That is not part of the Home Blessing Hour!

For the most part it was just vacuum, dust and mop. I started upstairs with vacuuming the carpet and hard surface floors. Then I dusted just the flat surfaces quickly with a microfiber cloth. I did skip the girls bedrooms because that really should be their job! I also ended up skipping the quick mop upstairs. It felt like I was running out of time, although only 25 minutes went by.

Downstairs I ran a vacuum over the stairs, hardwood floors and area rugs. I did skip the guest room as I did a pass through there late last week. Next I pulled out my shark steamer mop and hit the high traffic areas, with the kitchen getting the most attention. And finally, I dusted three surfaces: the fireplace mantel, a cabinet, and my desk. 

I did all of that work in 47 minutes. I did take at least two, maybe three small breaks, which are not included in my final tally of time. I was working quick and worked up a sweat! Now it wasn't perfect at all. But it's a nice improvement to the cleanliness of our home. A blessing! 

I haven't decided if I like this method yet. I like the idea of racing the timer, but the amount of work in our fairly large home are hard to complete in 70 minutes. Remember, I skipped several things. The amount of time may work in a smaller home. I also think the ten minutes on each of those areas are a way to at least get started keeping things tidy. 

Overall I think it works...it just might need a tweak for the amount of time I have to commit for my home. I may try the ten minute each day next week and see how that goes. If I do I will let you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment