Friday, October 20, 2017

Getting Things Done: Sew Pillows

As you can imagine, I'm still loving my church pew! It's one of those things I'm so glad I finally finished and it makes me happy each time I see it. I decided to go an extra step and make pillows for
it. 




I found upholstery fabric on clearance for $7 a yard. I bought just one yard to make pillow covers they way Martha Stewart does here using the envelope method. I also bought two 16"x16" pillow form inserts for $3.49 each at Walmart. My total cost was just $14. 


I may change the fabric up for different seasons. They are very easy to whip up and swap out. Here's how they look on the church pew. 


Sorry a bit of a dark day for the photo, but you get the idea!



So this wasn't on my original list of things to get done this month. I just had to add it once I had the pew complete. And it still feels good to get right on with something I want to do rather than wait and procrastinate. 

Have you ever made your own pillow covers? What method do you use?

2 comments:

  1. I like to sew and repeatedly make season and 'holiday' covers for the throw and chair pillows in various rooms, using the envelop system we call 'Mary Dobson' [she had a sewing show on TV]

    Should you wish to make a 'seasonal,' bench cushion, buying a cut to measure [less 1/2 "] slice of foam from an unholsters or auto seat repair is very inexpensive. Merely sew an elongated pillow case, 3 sides, tuck the 4th edge square as though wrapping a gift box. I close the end with velcro, stick-on tabs to facilitate easy removal for washing as the bench gets a great deal of use as seating for winter boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my plan to switch up the pillows occasionally. Probably not for every holiday as that is too much pressure! And probably no bench cushion...this one is curved and I like the look without.

      Delete