Friday, December 29, 2017

2017 Successes

I just reread nearly all my posts that I wrote this year. I sure wasn't a regular writer, but I did accomplish some great things around our home.



First, I decluttered 27 bags of items we no longer used or needed! The goal was 30. And in reality, I did eventually declutter more than 30 bags, but I just didn't record that here on the blog. The 30 bags was a helpful goal to keep me motivated to find more things to let go of. It also helped to see physically how much extra we really have in our home. All those small bags added up!

Second, I learned new cleaning routines. I watched people on YouTube explain how cleaning with the FlyLady worked for them. I tried it out and it was quite successful. I'm not perfect at the method. In fact, I'm taking December off, but I see the benefits it can provide. I think the result was getting things cleaned a little more regularly around here, and noticing that it doesn't take more than 15 minutes a day.

I was tremendously successful in October when I posted my Getting Things Done series. I did a few sewing projects, made appointments, got my wedding ring repaired, did cleaning tasks I was procrastinating and even painted a church pew! I was most pleased with my ring repair and the church pew. I don't know if that series inspired you or not, but it sure helped me to write about it and make a goal to accomplish all those things in one month.

And finally, I had another successful year planning ahead for Christmas. Starting in November has made December so much more relaxing. I've been out in the stores in the days before Christmas because of other needs (not Christmas shopping) and while I'm in the midst of the busy shoppers, I am not feeling that stress that I expect so many are. I will always plan ahead in November from now on, waiting until the final weeks of December is just too much pressure and stress. I encourage you to make some notes about your Christmas this year that could help you next year.

I know that 2018 will likely bring more decluttering as we could have another move by the end of the year. I will keep tweaking my cleaning routines for efficiency. I'm sure I have tasks to add to a new Getting Things Done list, although no promises it will be a series here on the blog. And most definitely, I will plan for Christmas in November of 2018!

What goals do you have for your home and life in 2018?

3 comments:

  1. Some good successes here! I look forward to going back and reading your journal now that I discovered it (from SA--I'm Dido over there)!

    ReplyDelete