Friday, February 23, 2018

Time To Tidy

Do you take time to just tidy things up regularly?

I noticed yesterday morning, I had let a few areas slide and get cluttered.  And I know my definition of slide may be different from yours, since I lean towards the minimalist end of the spectrum! But noticing things like this is what keeps our house in the order I prefer.

Here are the four areas I needed to address:

Kitchen

Desk

Laundry

Bonus Room

I failed to take an after picture of the kitchen, but really all I did was take out the recycling on the counter and clean the sink and counters. An improvement! I do like a clean sink.

Next up a few minutes cleaning up my desk. I removed the printer/scanner and set it on the steps to take upstairs. I put away items in files, recycled other papers, put the eyeglass cases in the garage (need to be dropped off for donation), and put away my binder under the desk.


The bag on the chair is all the shredded papers I did a few days ago! 
I had that bag out to the trash before they picked up. 

I folded that basket of laundry and put everything (but those towels pictured) away in 7 minutes. Yep, I timed myself. Folding laundry doesn't take as long as we think it does.


Now the actual tidy of our bonus room didn't take too long, but before I tidied I turned on a video and scanned some more of our investment documents. I didn't time that process, but it did take longer than than folding laundry! Once I was finished, I shredded the documents, put away the scanner, put away the remaining folders and a remote. 


I think some people refer to this tidy method as Back to Zero. Oh, and I've heard it called Erasing the Evidence, too. The idea is to tidy and remove things so it looks like you weren't there, or getting the space back to the way you prefer. I'd say I was successful! 

This is a great way to begin the day or even the evening. The whole family can even join in, helping the little ones put away their toys, and putting clothes in the hamper. A timer can even be a great help to make it feel like you are racing the clock and get it done fast. Five or ten minutes can get a lot done when many hands are working together? 

Do you tidy your spaces regularly? 









No comments:

Post a Comment