Wednesday, March 22, 2023

I Decluttered My High School Yearbooks!

For years, my yearbooks have been a drain on my mind. Obviously not everyday! The thought of releasing them would come up when saw them in storage or often in preparing for the next move. A huge part of me wanted to let them go long ago, but the mind kept convincing me to keep them. 



Here's some of what is going through my mind. I don't want them, they have no meaning. I can never get them back if I release them. What if I want to look someone up and don't have it as a reference? Who would I care to look up?  I'm in contact with the high school friends I want to interact with. I don't need to look up someone I don't remember now. Is it okay to throw or recycle this type of memory book? My mind says yes it is. It's just paper with images that have no meaning. 

I have four hardcover yearbooks that I have looked at about 5 times since I graduated over 30 years ago. They have never provided much satisfaction, and even less as I get older. They don't feel like a part of who I am. I really, really don't want them. 

I did a search recently about decluttering year books and found two very good articles that gave great insight. The first is called Decluttering Yearbooks? Ask these 8 Questions First. One of the questions asked was 'Are you okay with them being gone forever?' and my mind said yes. Another one, 'Would you be sad if your yearbooks disappeared?' and my heart said no. In fact, I have always let the moving companies move them...they failed me and always dropped them off! 😀 All the questions were helpful, but these were the most helpful to clarify my feelings.

The second article I Give You Permission To Throw Away Your Yearbook was some insight by the author on their decision to let go of a yearbook, primarily based on Marie Kondo's advice on sentimental items. The things in our home should be a reflection of who we are or who we are becoming. My yearbooks from high school represent me very little. They have words from classmates about their perception of me, or in some cases themselves! My diploma marks where and when I graduated and I have photos in color of myself from those years. The yearbooks no longer serve me, just as an outgrown swimsuit doesn't serve me, I should be able to let it go. 

In the end, I did recycle three of my four yearbooks. I kept one, only because my husband is in that one and I want him to make that decision. I did pull the pages where I was pictured. Apparently I was on yearbook staff in junior high! I have no memory of being involved in it, so it's odd to keep a page where I was identified as doing so.  I kept one note each from three of my closest high school friends. That's it. Heavy books, reduced to a few pages to keep. 

After a couple weeks, I still have no regrets. I give you permission as well to throw away your yearbook or any sentimental type item that no longer holds value to you. Our hearts know what to keep and what to release. I'm glad I finally trusted my own intuition and my own knowing that these books were more of a burden that a gift to hold on to. That's true freedom! 


No comments:

Post a Comment