Saturday, March 9, 2019

15 Minute Challenge: Decluttering

The 15 Minute Challenge can incorporate all types of things, even decluttering!

I might suggest if you only want to declutter for 15 minutes, do NOT empty an entire dresser or closet. You most likely will not get through that amount in a short time and may end up with all the things left out after 15 minutes. This is likely to overwhelm you. Look for small areas you know that YOU can manage in 15 minutes.

I decided to check look in this piece of furniture first. I sort of use it as a desk right now, or at least a place to store desk like items.


 A preview of what is in there...




This closet is nearby. I wasn't expecting to find much in either area, so for me these two areas were pretty manageable in 15 minutes.



I started at the top and worked my way down in the cabinet. I found something in every spot to remove. I did a little rearranging as I went. It is often better to just pull what you don't use and need. You can reorganize later! 

Here's the cabinet after...


The items on the top of the cabinet were eventually relocated to other areas of our home. I found a pair of broken readers, a couple boxes and an old key to toss from the cabinet.




The picture below represents what I pulled out of the closet to let go of...lots and lots of packaging materials. I really save far too much! Two small decorative jars I no longer want and a computer bag I will attempt to sell (it's in nearly new condition). 


The timer did go off soon after I took the picture above, so I did have to spend a few additional minutes getting these items to the recycling, trash and donate bin. 

Here's what the closet looks like after. I rearranged a little, but it looks very similar. I think there will need to be some reorganizing in this closet at some point. I'm not very happy with the set up currently. I need a do over! Maybe later this month. 



Do you have an area you think you could declutter in 15 minutes? Or maybe you could just set the timer and wander from area to area pulling items to donate for 15 minutes. 

Tell me about what you accomplished in 15 minutes today! 




No comments:

Post a Comment