Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Clean Your Drawers Challenge

Have you heard of the Clean Your Drawers Challenge on YouTube? It's a small group, but they are inspiring! You can find the playlist here.

The amount of stuff that can be pushed back, crammed and lost in a drawer is amazing! I think this is a great challenge if you find yourself in need of motivation.  I know that has been short for many of us right now. The advantage of just focusing on one drawer at a time is they generally take a short amount of time to declutter.

I will show you one drawer of mine that is need of help and I will time myself.


The before below. Quite a mix of things!


I  took everything out and immediately tossed the round piece of paper. 
I moved the rubber band to another spot along with all the vitamins. 


I swapped the stick blender with the items needed for cleaning our Berkey water system.
I straightened the tea and left the seed packet in this drawer for now. 


Well look at that. Just three minutes! 


Do you have any idea how many drawers are in your home? I just did a mental count for our home and came up with 50. I happen to know several of those are empty, but there would be quite a few that could use some work. 

Focus on this type of container can help you make progress and not get distracted by piles, cupboards and closets. One drawer a day, or a few per week and I can imagine you will find plenty to trash and donate. I also think these small containers, a drawer, can be done in rather short periods of time, likely 15 minutes or less depending on the size and how much you have in them. 

Some of the items you find likely have a home elsewhere in your house. One organizer, Dana K White, of A Snob Comes Clean, suggests you take the item immediately and directly to the place you think you might look for that item. Other organizers have you distribute the items after you have completed your decluttering knowing you might get distracted if you go wandering about your home. I think what you do is up to you, I personally like to distribute items after I am completed with my decluttering. 

Good luck if you decide to take on your own version of the Clean Your Drawers challenge! I'm cheering for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment