Monday, August 3, 2020

Addictive Social Media Habits

My computer had an update not long ago and one of it's new features that I can turn on (or off) is one that tracks how long I have been on the computer. One day it popped up to let me know I was on the computer for over five hours! On some level this was not surprising as I use it for many things, but on another level it was surprising. What was I doing for those five hours? What did I gain? What did I lose? What did I accomplish? What else could I have been doing if I wasn't on the computer? 

Social media consumption can be a tough one for many of us. The apps on our phones are plentiful. And because of the times we are in much of us wants to know exactly what is going on. Things are moving at a rapid pace, so it feels like we need to check in often to keep up. Our brains also learn exactly where the app is and automatically clicks it when it see it. I proved this to myself by moving my Facebook app on my phone to another page two months ago. My brain was thrown off initially because it wasn't there. Slowly, actually rather quickly, my brain learned to look for it elsewhere and it was automatic once again. Sigh. 

"Live like your phone doesn't exist" - A quote from a magazine ad I ripped out and put on a vision board earlier this year.


At the age of 47, I have actually had a life where I did live like my phone didn't exist. The phone was on the wall, and only available to use if I was at home. I didn't have one that I carried around in my pocket all the time. Clearly, I thrived and survived to get to this point! Can I get back to that?

My mom and I have both talked many times about leaving Facebook entirely. She decided to take the month of July off Facebook, and I said I would attempt to do the same. I deleted the app off my phone entirely. I can only check Facebook from my computer, which I tend to be on less. My mother seems to have been 100% successful. (So proud you mom!) I did really well, but probably still spent a few hours on Facebook during the entire month. 

Sounds like success yes? 

I have to be honest. There is still an addiction to know what is happening. I started adding people I had been following on Facebook to my Instagram account. Yep, I picked a new social media app to click! I love Instagram much better. For now I have far fewer people I follow. It's less easy to share, which I think was also an addiction. I was very aware that I wanted to stop being the person that shares everything I see. I still think the information needs to be known, but I also know that it is not my job to inform everyone. 

And another confession, I began to look at Twitter! Oh dear, that one may be worse than Facebook for how rude people are. It is most definitely time to take that app off my phone, as rudeness is not a quality I want to absorb.

The real question is did I really spend less time on social media in July? Overall, I think yes, but there is still major room for improvement. It doesn't count to use one social media app less, while increasing the use of two others, right? 

After I complete writing my post here, I will remove both Instagram and Twitter off my phone for the month of August. I technically intend that the removal will be permanent, but it helps to have a goal when it comes to addictive use. Alcoholics track by the hour and day in the beginning, and many for life. It is not wrong to use baby steps, bite size pieces to measure success. I can still check on my computer, which again I use far less, and the typing in the website seems less addictive than a click of an app. 

That last plan may be short sighted, but again it is about baby steps to creating a new relationship with my phone and social media. I want a life of freedom and joy, not one of addiction to apps and the negative things that can come along with them. I want connection to the world in a more authentic way, such as time with friends, family or even just writing here with you. 

Please feel free to join in this month and find ways to spend less of your valuable time on this beautiful earth clicking on social media! 

Do you have a technology addiction? Have you experimented by removing apps or setting up tricks to minimize your time on them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment