Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Reflection: A Journey To Peace in Our Homes

Reflection: A Journey to Peace in Our Homes


On February 22, 2023 I embarked on a 40 decluttering journey. I brought you along with me, as I hosted a daily check in of our efforts. I titled the series A Journey To Peace in Our Homes because I believe that we can achieve that in part by owning and managing fewer things. I believe our things can cause us stress and overwhelm, and cost us time and money. 





The first few days were rather easy as I was already continuing some decluttering from earlier in the month. I had also brainstormed some items I knew could go and I just need to pull from storage and corral into my staged decluttering space for future donation. 


Some of my decluttering was memorabilia, and honestly the hardest part wasn’t the decision, but the final drop of what I was ready to release into the trash. The finality of the rolling of it out to the curb was slightly heart tugging, yet freeing. I knew that I didn’t need those excess photos, old art or the yearbooks that held no meaning to continue on in life. I am whole just as I am whether I have one photo or many boxes. I do still have memorabilia, but I’m working it down to less, so that it is more enjoyable to browse through. In the past the memories have been in multiple large boxes, which have never been appealing to dip into because it is so much! 


As the month progressed, I found myself being very ruthless. I would declutter an area, find several things, including some ‘just in case’ items and move on. Later however, I would realize there were more ‘just in case’ type items I passed over. The initial pass was good, but I could do better! I really was holding on to the smallest of things that I could buy down the road for less than $20 quickly if I ever actually needed it. The odds are so low that I will ever need these items, so it’s not that I will be buying these again. The beauty is I have released myself from storing and managing these items. I’m sure there are still things in the home that could still carry that ‘just in case’ label. I’m simply proud that I caught many of them and let them go!! 


I let go of things that didn’t fit, were sentimental, expired and broken. I let go of decorations not used in years. I let go books and sold a few. I let go of things I should have recycled years ago, i.e. plastic pots and papers. I let go of brand new things that I don’t want to use and are excess. 


As someone who has been very good at regular decluttering, I was amazed at how much I could still find. I think this is quite common. We all have things we haven’t reviewed, ever or in quite awhile. We bring in new things often, although I bring in far less because of my decluttering practice! I just know we don’t need as much as advertisers and influencers want us to think we need. 


Do I feel better, more at peace, after this experience? Yes. I actually feel really good about what I accomplished. These 40 days have brought focus to the process I wanted to accomplish in 2023, which was to physically touch everything we own to reassess our need to store and manage these items. I may not be done yet for the year, but I have made great strides. I feel confident I can complete my 2023 decluttering goal. I may just block out another 40 days on the calendar to focus again. 


How was this journey of decluttering for you? Did you lose momentum? Did you accomplish some or all of what you wanted for this experience? What did you learn about your emotions or thoughts about your things? 


No comments:

Post a Comment