Thursday, October 12, 2023

Consistency and Focus

This post inspiration came about while I was dusting the main level of our home, which is my normal Wednesday cleaning task. 

Earlier this year I was annoyed that I would see dust accumulating on flat services. It felt like I just cleaned. Ah, yes, the feeling of cleaning often. But was I actually cleaning as often that would keep this house to my own standards? Turns out I had to be honest with myself. It was my inaction, my lack of consistency that was creating thicker dust on my furniture. 

I took action. I began to dust weekly. Turns out that consistently dusting creates a nearly dust free home. And dusting weekly is easier that dusting less often. More dust actually takes more time to clear well. 


My weight loss from 2022 wasn't fully sustained was for similar reasons. I overindulged in food and alcohol, and my activity level was not consistent. It took awhile to realize my actions actually were the problem. I was simply not focused on what I needed to do to maintain.  

Before I fully realized the problem, I renewed my commitment to walking daily outside. I haven't missed a day in probably two months. I walk longer now as well. Instead of a 23 minute loop around my neighborhood, I have found a route that has me walking 50 minutes! I have also made it a non negotiable, it's just what I do daily, like brushing my teeth. It will be tempting to skip as the weather gets colder, but I'm determined to get out as many days as I can, even if the length of time is less.  

About ten days ago, I committed to tracking my calories again, choosing only whole foods. I do not eat sugar or grains because I feel better when I don't eat them. I also increased my water intake and have sworn off alcohol through the end of the year. The weight is starting to fall off. 

So keeping dust away is like keeping excess weight away. 
Focus and consistency work. 

I share because many of us have had struggles with keeping our home to our expectations (and maybe keeping weight off, too). I had to reflect how my choices were impacting my results. I want all of us to consider if it is our lack of consistency to the plan we know works that is causing the home to be dirty, disorganized. There are many ways to approach weight loss, decluttering or cleaning a home. Pick any method and do it consistently and my guess is that it does work. So who is making it not work? Is it our excuses getting in the way? Our lack of focus or consistency? 

Of course, we do have to give ourselves grace at times. I can't dust if I am out of town, but I can start again when I return. I can have a treat of sugar for a birthday for example. I can make the rules, but I also want to take the actions that produce the results. I have learned that results come with consistency. 

What results are you looking for in your life? Can you apply a system that you do consistently to achieve those results? A room full of clutter takes regular action of making decisions and getting it out of the home. Can you commit to 15 minutes twice a week on this task? Can you show up for the work, so that over time with consistency you will see the result you desire?

I'm cheering for you! We are all in this life together, trying to figure it out. I hope my examples are helpful and that you find the results you are looking for!

No comments:

Post a Comment