Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Getting Things Done: Digital Picture Backup

Honestly, I was dreading today's task. I needed to move my daughter's pictures from her old phone to a new backup service. Confused? Old phone. But backed up photos?

Old phone contains pictures covering three years. We backed them up when she changed phones to a new service. That service is now ending it's free version. The deadline was Friday, October 20. So even though the photos are still on the phone and would not be lost, I made this my goal to get these set up on a new cloud service.  Besides, while I'm actually using this old phone...it's time for it to leave our home after my new phone arrives! 



I chose DropBox originally. But turns out she had 13GB worth of photos, which is far more than the 2GB provided free with DropBox. I abandoned that and moved everything to Google Photo. Google has 15GB of free storage. Once I made that change it all went smoothly...took hours but I didn't have to do a thing. I'm letting her figure out what to do with her photos once she reaches the limit. I clearly see plenty of photos that can be deleted! 

In addition to completing the task, I have decided I will start using Google Photos also. It's the perfect time now that I have a new cell phone on it's way. I can start with this new cloud service from day one! Digital photo organizing is not my thing. Once I have a good set up going forward, I may be able to start going back and getting older digital photos in one place (or two). 

I'm sure many of you use cloud services for your digital photos. Do you delete the old ones off your phone regularly or have it set for that? Do you save your photos in a second location?  


No comments:

Post a Comment