Friday, November 15, 2019

Let The Baking Commence...

I wish I could put sound effects on a blog title! You would hear a record scratching after the word 
commence.



I'm making four different types of treats for the holidays this year. And yes, I make most of them in November (or early December) and freeze them until it's time to share or eat. I mentioned previously that I made my baking ingredient shopping list.  I followed my list and picked up all the items, except for the most perishables, during two recent grocery shopping lists.

I decided to make Peanut Butter Fudge first. It is the fastest one and requires none of the perishable items. The recipe I use can be found here.



After I put on the Christmas music, I pulled out all my ingredients, the pans, the spatulas and the measuring cup and spoon. I measured the sugar (so much sugar!).  I opened the can of evaporated milk; poured it onto the sugar. I unwrapped a stick of butter and tossed it in the pot and began to stir it all together. The melting began and I glanced at the recipe to see what was next and realized I didn't get the vanilla out. I've made this recipe before and it goes fast and it helps to have everything out and ready to go. Back to the cupboard for the vanilla.

...cue the record scratching sound

There was no vanilla in my cupboard!! It wasn't on my shopping list either. Thanks to my previous post and a picture I can confirm I never put it on the list. The truth is when I was making my list I took for granted that I actually had vanilla. Because it is not often we run out of vanilla honestly. I simply didn't double check and look where I would find the vanilla.

I turned off the stove to stop the melting. I stopping the Christmas music playing. I put on my coat and drove to the closet store four minutes away for vanilla. Just vanilla.

I am thankful this happened to me! Because I can share it with you. You can learn from my error. Double check your ingredients. Double check your list. Double check your recipes. (Yes, even those Thanksgiving ones!)

It is frustrating to start a recipe, or a project without all the necessary ingredients or items. If I had been making this with my kids as a holiday experience, it would have changed the mood considerably. It isn't the end of the world of course, I still have my peanut butter fudge made!


Are you baking treats for Christmas? Have you ever had to stop a recipe because you were missing an ingredient?

p.s. Please tell me you know what a record scratching sounds like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment