Monday, December 28, 2020

Overwhelm Becomes Procrastination

I'm procrastinating because I'm overwhelmed.

Just like everyone I have periods of procrastination. It comes in many forms. I've noticed it happens when I get overwhelmed with a lot of ideas (many of them great, but grandiose at the same time). As the new year dawns, my brain is filled with a lot of ideas for things I want to achieve in 2021. New ideas bring about all sorts of questions and thoughts, and I find myself lost in those. As a result, on this day, I see that I am not accomplishing anything. Don't get me wrong, I think we should have days where we accomplish nothing; days when we relax and go with the flow. The overwhelm is now bringing about feelings of frustration because I rather be getting things done!! 

Honestly, I am here writing about it so I can get a plan in place to move forward. A plan so I can stop feeling the frustration and overwhelm. The writing will get the ideas and thoughts out of my brain onto paper, into a journal post. My brain can then relax a little bit. 




First I just need to make a plan for what I will accomplish this week:
  • take down all holiday decorations except the tree
  • wash our bedding
  • clean the bathrooms
  • shred receipts
  • close out 2020 budget
  • close out 2020 Christmas planner
  • read one chapter of new book
There is more that I can do and may do, but I will feel good if I can get these things done. This will set me up to remain focused, to stay in the present mindset, rather than day dreaming what I might accomplish in the next 12 months. 

It's late on Monday as I write. The buzzer for one of two loads of laundry just went off. I will go fold and put it away, moving the other load to the dryer. After that task, I will start gathering some of the Christmas decor. I will put it all in one spot. Once it is all in one place, I will bring in the Christmas bins from the garage. 

I have a plan! Time to start taking action, rather than focusing on the overwhelm, which is creating frustration. Our feelings are connected to our actions. What feelings cause you to procrastinate? 

No comments:

Post a Comment