Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Slow January Reflections

Welcome Friends! Thanks for stopping back by the blog.

At the beginning of the new year, like many, I found my mind was starting to make goals. I also began seeing posts by creators and influencers on various social media on 'all the goals one could accomplish' in 2023. Overwhelm set in. My brain wanted to accomplish it all, but my body was tense, my mind was busy!! 

This was interesting to me. 

I decided in December my theme for 2023 was going to be Relax and Breathe. How did all the goals and ideas that sound fantastic line up with my theme? If I set out to do all my ideas, and the ideas of others, would I have time to Relax and Breathe? I needed clarity on what Relax and Breathe will look like, thus I named the first month of the year, Slow January. A reminder to slow down, which is probably the first lesson in leaning into my theme. 

I was gifted a book called Essentialism: The Discipline Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown for Christmas which was a helpful mid month guidepost. What is essential? Because the truth is we cannot do it all. Last year I was much more focused. The theme was Nourish, making my primary focus eating whole foods and losing weight, plus creating the habits that nourish a healthy body and mind.

Guess what one of the essentialism principles is? Focus! I clearly did not have focus as the year began.  I allowed myself a Slow January, goal free and now I have clarity on what I will accomplish this year. I may write about this at another time.

What did Slow January actually look like? 

The first step was just becoming aware of how I felt in January, which was overwhelmed. Next, I gave myself permission to slow down, to wait to make big sweeping plans. I did make note of three main tasks to accomplish in January. Tasks that were just right for a slow month. One was a purchase. One was making an appointment. And the last one was an action step on a larger goal. 

In keeping with my theme, I really made a point to embrace anything that I find relaxing. Meditation, baths, reading, writing...even cleaning and a few decluttering tasks! There was music played (slow and upbeat). I watched some sitcoms. I even found myself just staring out the window, taking in the scenery. I put away Christmas decor and did a basic home cleaning reset. I dug into some drawers and cabinets where I knew I could make some quick decluttering decisions, but I did it when inspired, not based on a goal of any kind. I made tea and took a couple naps. 

Did you know that slowing down in winter is actually in our nature? In the past when we didn't have electricity, people would actually sleep more because there was no light and the fuel of lamps was expensive. Work was done in daylight, so we did less in winter too. Winter is a time to rest and renew. Turns out a Slow January is in alignment with nature! 

Towards the end of the month, I was drawn to start unfollowing social media accounts that are not in alignment with my Relax and Breathe theme. I'm also becoming more aware of how I pick up my phone and scroll...which isn't always relaxing!! I am trying to whittle down what I do online to the most essential. I'm starting with less time and fewer accounts to follow. My hope is by year end, it's a minimal part of my life. (Side note: I'm finding it helpful to leave my phone away from me when I want to avoid using it! Maybe obvious, but so many of us have them practically chained to our bodies).

My Slow January was exactly what was needed. I gave myself permission to stop my busy mind and wait a bit to decide what this year will bring. The theme is still Relax and Breathe. Most likely it will be a year of letting go in many ways to create more space to relax and breathe. I expect some of the letting go will be habits that are stressful. I also see letting go of physical things that are not essential to me or my family. 

Feel free to comment on your January thoughts and accomplishments. And you are welcome to join and follow the Organized Friends Facebook group for more conversation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment